What is YourBenefitsNow!

YourBenefitsNow! is a website for Los Angeles County Residents to apply for and to view their benefits online. Click any of the navigation links in the center panel to get started.

Currently, YourBenefitsNow! supports CalWORKs, CalFresh, General Relief and MediCal applications.

If you need help in your language, call your local county office. You have the right to ask for help in your own language. There is no cost for this help.

Americans with Disabilities Act

Do you have a disability that makes it hard for you to apply for benefits or meet program requirements? We can give you extra help.

The law protects people with physical, mental, and developmental disabilities as well as others with serious health problems.

Click here to download the DPSS ADA Brochure.

For more information about the how DPSS can help you under the ADA, click here to go to the DPSS ADA Website.

YBN Tutorials

How To Login
Register An Account
Submitting An Application
Case Status
Benefit Information
Viewing Worker Information
Schedule Appointment to Apply for Benefits
Submit SAR7 or QR7 Online

What would you like to do?



Did you know?

As of April 28,2020, you can now use your EBT card to purchase groceries online at select retailers. For more information please click here to visit EBT online.


Pandemic EBT (P-EBT)

Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), children who are eligible for free or reduced-price meals at school will get extra food benefits called Pandemic EBT (P-EBT). Please click here for more information.

If you are eligible and have not received your P-EBT card in the mail by May 22, 2020, please click here to apply online before June 30, 2020. The online application portal for P-EBT will be available starting on May 22, 2020.



DPSS offices are temporarily closed to the public until further notice due to the COVID-19 health emergency. We will continue to provide service online and by telephone.

Click here for more information.


Out of State EBT Usage

If you need assistance with EBT transactions in Florida, Georgia, or New Jersey, please call the customer service number on the back of your EBT card and speak to a Customer Service Representative.


ALERT!!! Social Media, Telephone and Cell Phone Text Scam!

The EBT Cardholder Call Center reports that a comment posted on social media is advising cardholders to call (877) 449-7795 or cardholders are receiving calls or text messages from (213) 600-5667, (442) 284-5456, (978) 230-0875, (626) 590-9019 or (909) 699-3067. These phone numbers are requesting the cardholder to provide their card number and PIN to have their benefits posted right away.

These are SCAMs to obtain cardholder information. These are NOT phone numbers associated with California EBT. It is important for you to protect your identity and case information. DPSS will never ask for your personal security PIN.

If you suspect that you are a victim of these SCAMs, call the DPSS Customer Service Call Center at (866) 613-3777 for help right away.


Trouble opening your Electronic Notices?

If you are having trouble opening your electronic notices and receiving a “server has been blocked by an extension” error, we can help. Please click here for instructions.


CalFresh Fact Sheets
California Department of Social Services
CalWORKS Fact Sheets
CBO/FBO listing
Contact DPSS
Covered California
Customer Satisfaction Survey
Department of Children and Family Services
Department of Health Care Services
District Addresses and Hours of Operations
DPSS Program Information
EBT ATM locator
EBT Client Website
eNotices Tutorial
In-Home Supportive Services
LA County Helps
Other County Services
Outreach Calendar
Register To Vote
Report Fraud
WIC Mobile

Do You Have DPSS Mobile App?

Los Angeles County has a mobile phone application for Apple iOS and Google Android devices. You can get it from store by scanning the following QR codes, or searching DPSS Mobile App on Apple and Android marketplaces.
App Store Google play
App Store QR Code CLICK HERE Google play QR Code CLICK HERE
Register to vote button

For Case Information, please contact your case worker.
If you need help in your language, call your local county office. You have the right to ask for help in your own language. There is no cost for this help.
Technical issue using this website? Please contact the Webmaster